What is Mathematics? is a book written by authors Richard Courant and Herbert Robbins. The book was published by Oxford University Press. It is a general book giving an introduction to Mathematics which is for students as well as for anyone wanting to learn the subject. At the end of this article, download What is Mathematics? Pdf Free from our site.
What is Mathematics? Review:
This book is great for those people who want to learn about Mathematics. At the same time, it serves as a textbook and as a guide for students of mathematics. Initially, it mentions number theory which lays the foundation for the subject. After that, there is also a section dedicated to Calculus in which the basics and complexities of Calculus are discussed. There are also chapters dealing with topology and other topics of Mathematics. Thus, What is Mathematics answers the questions of the general public and a relevant student regarding the subject of mathematics. It is a great book which also comes with a second edition with additional chapters written by Ian Stewart.
What is Mathematics? Features:
- The book has been translated 5 times till now. The first translation was in Russian and the latest one came in 2010.
- It deals with the different aspects of Mathematics, giving a general overview rather than focusing on one topic.
- The second edition of the book has additional chapters by Ian Steward and was published by the same author.
Table of Contents:
- The Natural Numbers
- Calculation With Integers
- The Infinitude of Number System
- The Theory of Numbers
- Prime Numbers
- Pythagoras Numbers
- The Euclidean Algorithm
- Rational Numbers
- Remarks on Analytical Geometry
- Mathematical Analysis of Infinity
- Complex Numbers
- Algebraic and Transcendental Numbers
- Geometrical Constructions
- Examples of Limits
- Precise definition of Continuity
- Example of Continuity
- Maxima and Minima
- Steiner’s Problems
- Existence of an Extremum